- Epitaxial growth of low dimensional semiconductor structures and devices
- Ion implantation of semiconductors for optoelectronic applications
- Optoelectronic devices
- Nanostructured devices
- Photoelectrochemical water splitting for H2 production
PhD, Materials Engineering, 1997, The Australian National University
B.E. (Hons), 1992, The University of Melbourne
Hoe received his B.E. (Hons) in Electrical Engineering from the University of Melbourne in 1992. Before on his PhD studies, he worked for Osram in Malaysia which produced LEDs and other optoelectronic products. In 1997, he was awarded a PhD in Materials Engineering from the Australian National University. He has been the past recipient of the Australian Research Council Postdoctoral, QEII and Future Fellowships. He has published/co-published over 450 journal papers and 6 book chapters, and given over 70 invited/plenary talks. He is also a co-inventor in 4 US patents related to laser diodes and infrared photodetectors. In 2019, Hoe was elevated to a Fellow of the IEEE “for contributions to compound semiconductor optoelectronic materials and devices” He was also the Distinguished Lecturer for IEEE Nanotechnology Council (2016 & 2017) and IEEE Photonics Society (2016-2017).
His research activities cover both fundamental and applied aspects of semiconductor optoelectronics, with two distinctive contributions in (i) epitaxial growth of III-V semiconductor materials and devices by metal organic chemical vapour deposition (MOCVD) and (ii) ion irradiation of compound semiconductors for optoelectronic applications. He is currently the Node director for the Australian National Fabrication Facility, ACT Node which offers state-of-the-art fabrication facilities to help researchers from Australia and overseas in the fabrication of micro- and nano-scale electronic and photonic devices.
- (2020). Highly uniform InGaAs/InP quantum well nanowire array-based light emitting diodes. Nano Energy, 71 , 2020, (cited By 0).
- (2020). Engineering III–V Semiconductor Nanowires for Device Applications. Advanced Materials, 32 (18), 2020, (cited By 0).
- (2020). Three-dimensional cross-nanowire networks recover full terahertz state. Science, 368 (6490), pp. 510-513, 2020, (cited By 0).
- (2020). In situ passivation of GaAsSb nanowires for enhanced infrared photoresponse. Nanotechnology, 31 (24), 2020, (cited By 1).
- (2020). Review on III-V semiconductor single nanowire-based room temperature infrared photodetectors. Materials, 13 (6), 2020, (cited By 0).
- (2020). Phase tailoring and wafer-scale uniform hetero-epitaxy of metastable-phased corundum α-Ga2O3 on sapphire. Applied Surface Science, 513 , 2020, (cited By 0).
- (2020). Carrier dynamics and recombination mechanisms in InP twinning superlattice nanowires. Optics Express, 28 (11), pp. 16795-16804, 2020, (cited By 0).
- (2020). Strain distribution in wrinkled hBN films. Solid State Communications, 310 , 2020, (cited By 0).
- (2020). Characterization, Selection, and Microassembly of Nanowire Laser Systems. Nano Letters, 20 (3), pp. 1862-1868, 2020, (cited By 0).
- (2020). Improving the Morphology and Crystal Quality of AlN Grown on Two-Dimensional hBN. Crystal Growth and Design, 20 (3), pp. 1811-1819, 2020, (cited By 0).
- (2020). Non-epitaxial carrier selective contacts for III-V solar cells: A review. Applied Materials Today, 18 , 2020, (cited By 0).
- (2020). Forward and Backward Switching of Nonlinear Unidirectional Emission from GaAs Nanoantennas. ACS Nano, 14 (2), pp. 1379-1389, 2020, (cited By 0).
- (2020). Exploring the band structure of Wurtzite InAs nanowires using photocurrent spectroscopy. Nano Research, 2020, (cited By 0).
- (2020). Polarization-Independent Indium Phosphide Nanowire Photodetectors. Advanced Optical Materials, 2020, (cited By 0).