- Stretchable and conformal devices – electronics and photonics
- Wearable sensors
- Dielectric metasurfaces
Doctor of Philosophy, Electronic Materials Engineering, 2009, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
Master of Engineering, Microelectronic Engineering, 2005, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
Bachelor of Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, 2004, P.S.G. College of Technology, Coimbatore, India
Professor Madhu Bhaskaran co-leads the Functional Materials and Microsystems Research Group at RMIT University. She has won several awards and fellowships for her research including competitive Australian Research Council Postdoctoral Fellowship (2010-2014) and Australian Research Council DECRA Fellowship (2016-2018). She has been named as one of Top 10 Innovators under 35 for Asia (MIT Technology Review 2016).
A staunch advocate for diversity and inclusion, Madhu is a co-founder of the Women Researchers’ Network at RMIT University and has contributed her expertise on the Expert Working Group for the Women in STEM Decadal Plan. She has served on the Board of Directors with Women in STEMM Australia since 2015 and also serves on the Engineering for Australia Taskforce.
Her research interests include functional oxide thin films, wearable technologies and conformal devices. In 2017 she was recognised with the Eureka Prize for Outstanding Early Career Researcher. In 2018, she won the Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering’s Batterham Medal and the APEC Science Prize for Innovation, Research and Education. She strives to translate her fundamental research results to impactful applications through collaborations with industry. She has five patents for breakthroughs in the creation of stretchable oxide devices, innovative coatings for smart windows, and next-generation sensing devices.
In October 2020 she was recognised by the Asian-Australian Leadership Summit as the Science and Medicine category winner for their 40 Under 40 Most Influential Asian-Australians awards.
- (2021). Black Phosphorus—Diketopyrrolopyrrole Polymer Semiconductor Hybrid for Enhanced Charge Transfer and Photodetection. In: Advanced Photonics Research, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 2100150, 2021, ISSN: 2699-9293, 2699-9293.
- (2021). Influence of Temperature on Photodetection Properties of Honeycomb-like GaN Nanostructures. In: Advanced Materials Interfaces, vol. 8, no. 14, pp. 2100593, 2021, ISSN: 2196-7350, 2196-7350.
- (2021). Active Control of Nanodielectric-Induced THz Quasi-BIC in Flexible Metasurfaces: A Platform for Modulation and Sensing. In: Advanced Materials, vol. 33, no. 27, pp. 2100836, 2021, ISSN: 0935-9648, 1521-4095.
- (2021). 2D/3D Hybrid of MoS textsubscript2 /GaN for a High-Performance Broadband Photodetector. In: ACS Applied Electronic Materials, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 2407–2414, 2021, ISSN: 2637-6113, 2637-6113.
- (2021). Fully Light-Controlled Memory and Neuromorphic Computation in Layered Black Phosphorus. In: Advanced Materials, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 2004207, 2021, ISSN: 0935-9648, 1521-4095.
- (2021). Wearable Label-Free Optical Biodetectors: Progress and Perspectives. In: Advanced Photonics Research, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 2000076, 2021, ISSN: 2699-9293, 2699-9293.
- (2020). Phase Change Vanadium Dioxide Light Sensors. In: Applied Materials Today, vol. 21, pp. 100833, 2020, ISSN: 23529407.
- (2020). Ultra-Wideband Tri-Layer Transmissive Linear Polarization Converter for Terahertz Waves. In: APL Photonics, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 046101, 2020, ISSN: 2378-0967.
- (2020). Electrically Activated UV-A Filters Based on Electrochromic MoO textsubscript 3– emphx . In: ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 12, no. 14, pp. 16997–17003, 2020, ISSN: 1944-8244, 1944-8252.
- (2020). High-$Q$ Terahertz Absorber With Stable Angular Response. In: IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 204–211, 2020, ISSN: 2156-342X, 2156-3446.
- (2020). Charge Injection in Vertically Stacked Multi-Layer Black Phosphorus. In: Applied Materials Today, vol. 18, pp. 100481, 2020, ISSN: 23529407.
- (2020). Ultra-Wideband Far-Infrared Absorber Based on Anisotropically Etched Doped Silicon. In: Optics Letters, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 1196, 2020, ISSN: 0146-9592, 1539-4794.
- (2020). Dielectrics for Terahertz Metasurfaces: Material Selection and Fabrication Techniques. In: Advanced Optical Materials, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 1900750, 2020, ISSN: 2195-1071, 2195-1071.
- (2020). Differential Work-Function Enabled Bifunctional Switching in Strontium Titanate Flexible Resistive Memories. In: ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 7326–7333, 2020, ISSN: 1944-8244, 1944-8252.